The new Airbus H145, flying the Sikorsky Autonomous Research Aircraft, South Africa’s first civilian Black Hawk operator & more!
Astronics Corporation, a leading provider of advanced technologies for the global aerospace, defense, and other mission-critical industries, announced on April 1 an upgraded emergency locator transmitter (ELT) for aircraft life rafts, the SRB-406G Stype ELT, which includes GPS locator technology to provide satellite-based position assistance during search-and-rescue (SAR) operations.
Offered by Astronics DME, a wholly owned subsidiary of Astronics Corporation, the new SRB-406G is 4.6 percent smaller and 15 percent lighter than previous versions of the company’s ELTs. Activated either manually or automatically upon life raft deployment, with a self-deploying antenna, this ELT can improve a search-and-rescue operation’s response time by providing the rapid and accurate location of survivors in the life raft.
“ELTs are required equipment on all aircraft, and we continue to integrate new technologies in our quest to make them more efficient and effective in any emergency situation,” said Frank Cassandra, general manager of Astronics DME. “When life raft manufacturers specify this ELT, they can be confident they’re providing the most technologically advanced solution available on the market today.”
Specific features of the SRB-406G ELT include:
- GPS internal navigation device
- Wireless programming capability allows the digital message to be programmed at the user’s facility
- Satisfaction of special conditions for non-rechargeable lithium batteries when installed in a civil aviation life raft, approved to FAA TSO-C142a
- Dual frequency — 406 MHz and 121.5 MHz
- Manual or automatic activation
- Rugged small size, 4.22 inches (10.72 cm) by 3.60 inches (9.14 cm), and light weight, 1.43 lbs. (0.649 kg)
- Self-deploying antenna
- Self-test functions
- Battery pack expiration seven years from date of manufacture (DOM)
- Cospas-Sarsat C/S T.001
- FAA TSO-C126b
- FAA TSO-C142a
- FCC (SDoC)
- IC 4628A-SRB406GELT1
The SRB-406G ELT is now available and has been shipping to customers since the fourth quarter of last year. Astronics will display the new SRB-406G S-type ELT in stand 3B30 at the upcoming Aircraft Interiors Expo, April 2 to 4, in Hamburg, Germany.