Seminole County Sheriff, California Highway Patrol, FinnHEMS, CH-148 Cyclone, Austrian Police Air Support and more!
Precision Flight Controls (PFC) and Ryan Aerospace (Australia) will be displaying their newly FAA-approved helicopter simulator at Heli-Expo in Las Vegas from Feb. 27 to March 1, 2018.
A joint venture between the two companies has seen the development of a new, cost-effective helicopter simulator which has just received certification under Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) rules as an Advanced Aviation Training Device (AATD). The device is reconfigurable between the Bell 206 and Bell 407.
President and CEO of PFC, Mike Altman, said he was proud of the work that had been done to achieve this major milestone.
“This is a real game-changer for flying schools looking to save money and reduce risk,” said managing director and founder of Ryan Aerospace, Chris Ryan. “Lower cost simulators like ours are really disrupting the industry which has been dominated by larger players.”
What this certification means for training schools is that they are now able to offer a more cost-effective and safe way to train helicopter pilots in a variety of key areas and to achieve credits in the simulator, rather than the real aircraft.
With aircraft purchase and running costs forever being on the rise and simulators becoming more powerful and less expensive, there is a compelling business case to consider simulation as an effective training tool to supplement (and replace) some real helicopter flying.
The AATD is approved for use in satisfying the following sections of Parts 61 and 141:
- 61.51(b)(3) – Logbook entries;
- 61.51(h) – Logging training time;
- 61.57(c) – Instrument experience;
- 61.57(d)(1)(ii) – Instrument Proficiency Check, per the instrument PTS/ACS;
- 61.65(i) – Instrument rating up to 20 hours;
- 61.129(i)(1)(ii) – Commercial Pilot Certificate: up to 25 hours; and
- 141.41(b) – Approved for use under the Part 141 Appendices as follows:
- Appendix C – Up to 40 percent toward the total instrument flight training time requirements;
- Appendix D – Up to 20 percent toward the total commercial pilot flight training time requirements;
- Appendix E – Up to 25 percent toward the total airline transport pilot flight training time requirements;
- Appendix F – Up to 5 percent toward the total flight instructor flight training time requirements;
- Appendix G – Up to 5 percent toward the total flight instructor instrument flight training time requirements;
- Appendix I – Up to 3 hours toward the Private Pilot Helicopter Class Rating Course flight training time requirements;
- Appendix I – Up to 6 hours toward the Commercial Pilot Helicopter Class Rating Course flight training time requirements;
- Appendix I – Up to 6.25 hours toward the Airline Transport Pilot Helicopter Course flight training time requirements; and
- Appendix M – Up to 25 percent toward the total Combined Private Pilot Helicopter Certification and Instrument Rating flight training time requirements.
The AATD is also approved provide up to a maximum of 7.5 hours of the aeronautical experience requirements for the Private Pilot Helicopter Certificate specified in 14 CFR Parts 61 and 141, applicable to the areas of operations and tasks specified in the helicopter practical test standards.
The unit comes with a full PC rack system complete with licensed software and instructor operator station (IOS) which allows users to create scenarios, set weather conditions, change time of day or night, select any airport (worldwide) and induce failures. The (included) Garmin 530 (GNS530W) offers virtually full functionality.
There are also many options to choose from such as visual system (projection dome system or LCD panel display), avionics and motion and vibration system to name just a few. A new projection dome display from Q4 will be on display at Heli-Expo.
Customers can also enjoy fast delivery times due to a number of these units now being in stock and ready to go. Support staff are based around the world and customized service level agreements can be offered in addition to standard warranty conditions.
The new fully certified H-206 by Precision Flight Controls and Ryan Aerospace is available right now.