The 2019 Vertical Photo Contest, Synergy Flight School, SAF Group, flying the Bristol Sycamore, on-demand helicopter market focus & more!
The International Helicopter Safety Foundation (IHSF) is initiating its sixth annual survey of civil helicopter operators located in key regions around the world in order to gain a broader understanding of where safety initiatives are being implemented. A link to the survey form can be found on the IHSF website: http://ihst.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2593
The IHSF’s worldwide regional teams have analyzed more than 1,000 helicopter accidents and have concluded that the following eight areas offer the best opportunities to prevent helicopter accidents:
- Structured programs to fully comply with manufacturers’ recommended maintenance practices;
- A structured program for initial and recurrent training;
- The implementation of safety management systems (SMS);
- The implementation of flight data monitoring (FDM) programs;
- Installation of wire strike prevention systems;
- The implementation of manual health and usage monitoring systems (HUMS);
- The implementation of automated HUMS; and
- Usage of night vision systems when warranted.
The 2019-20 IHSF survey will look at where these best practices are being followed within specific segments of the helicopter industry and within regions around the world.
Last year’s data showed that the key recommended safety practices were implemented most comprehensively by operators in the sectors of helicopter air ambulance, offshore/oil operations and law enforcement. The lowest implementation occurred in the personal/private segment of the industry and in TV/radio newsgathering.